Thursday, August 4, 2011

Back Home......loose ends!

This is the Bush Pilot Shop at Fish Lake, where my float plane was based


Well, here it is Thursday, my original arrive home date.  I actually got back to Milwaukee yesterday at 8:30 AM on, a day early.  My return started in Anchorage at 9:30 at night on Tuesday, 5 hours to MSP, then 1 hour plane change and short flight to Milwaukee.


I did manage to accomplish, in 7 days of flying, everything I set out to accomplish:


Single Engine Sea Plane Certification
Tail Wheel Endorsement
Bush Pilot Endorsement


I had a difficult time on the drive from Talkeetna to Anchorage for my flight home.  I was very emotional for some reason.  Sad to be leaving.  Happy to be heading home.  I left behind great short term relationships with some people.  I was tired from very little sleep the night before.


I will miss Alaska and look forward to my next return, which will be soon.  I look forward to using the skills I acquired on this trip to further explore the beautiful Alaska landscape, both from the air, from lakes, and on the ground.


Thank you for your interest in the blog.  Knowing people were actually following the blog afforded me the incentive to be vigilant in my updates.  Further, I got to document my experience as a keep sake,  updates helped me stay busy and I think most importantly, because I set a goal of updating the blog daily, forced me to really think through what I was experiencing and what it meant to me.

Regards


Greg


I also want to plug my B&B, Grace & Bill's Freedom Hills Bed and Breakfast, https://gbfreedomhillsbb.com


Also, Above Alaska Aviation, http://www.abovealaska.com/

I was fortunate, just by chance on line, to pick these two.  I would highly recommend them.  

Sometimes you get lucky!

I am including some additional pictures of Alaska on this blog.  The first couple are from 2006.  Enjoy!




SUPER CUB....2100 RPM, 80 MPH, descending slightly from 2000' MSL


The helicopter used to recover parts of the B-17 that crashed in 1951 (previous blog)


One of K-2's Otters that heads to the Glacier on Mt. McKinley, when weather permits


The Champ

Tail Wheel of the Citabria
One of the Gravel Strips NW of Talkeetna we did not land on


One of the gravel strips we did land on (may have used this photo previously but I like it)

I brought back several rocks.  Not this one.  Have the photo instead.  There's a weight limit on luggage.













1 comment: