Monday, July 25, 2011

Float Plane Flying.....Incredible

The Super Cub, 5907 Yankee, on Fish Lake (home base)

The "Bridge" to the plane.  I only went into the water once!

That's Scotty's Lake (20 miles from Talkeetna). I'm on left downwind in the front seat shooting the picture and setting up to land.
Lance shot this picture of me on downwind for Scotty's Lake.  Not sure what happened to the top of my head.  That's not how I imagine it looks?

The Super Cub has a transparent roof.  It was very overcast and cool today, yet the sun roof really created a lot of heat.  Hate to think of what it's like in that airplane on a sunny day.



I wish I would have taken a photo of the cockpit of this plane (I will tomorrow).  It is so much different than what I am used to.  The pilot seat doesn't move, the flaps and trim are very awkward to operate.  There's no "master switch",  just circuit breakers to push in or out.  One of the biggest challenges was remembering where all the controls and instruments are compared to the airplane (Cessna 172's) that I am used to flying.  Also, think about it, no brakes.  I had to learn how to pump the water out of the floats before take-off,  "launch" the plane from the pier, get it started right away (before buckling in, in order to have the power from the prop to steer the plane) and keep it out of harms way in the initial taxi, all the while using a stick instead of a yoke (like a steering wheel). On return, you have to aim the plane for the pier, shut it down, exit the plane and stand on the float in order to jump to the pier and capture the plane.  Talk about multi-tasking.

As much anticipation as I had going into this whole adventure, I could not have imagined taxiing, taking off and landing, on two lakes, more incredible than it was.  On the first day!  I think I might be a better pilot than I thought or the Super Cub is too easy to fly, and feel.  Today was very special.  Lance (the instructor from Kansas) didn't have to "rescue" me on any of the take-offs or landings.  We did three types of take-off and landings: Glassy Water, Rough Water and Standard (that's my name for a regular t/o and landing).  I took off and landed 9 times today. We did have a pretty cooperative day with not much wind and cool temperatures.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment