Saturday, July 30, 2011

Toyota Corolla Hubcaps and Talkeetna

First things first.  I found my hubcap!




I got to the Talkeetna airport this afternoon, after two trips to and from the B&B, and for some reason, probably the first time I've done this since I've been here, I looked at the right side of my rental car.  I noticed I was missing one hubcap and started to surmise the outcome.  These rental car places are famous for over charging for "damages" to the cars.  I worried this was going to be expensive. 

I figured, when I turned the car in, in Anchorage on Tuesday night, I could distract the person checking me in long enough not to notice the right side, but figured they still had my personal information and would eventually catch up with me.  Lance at Above Alaska Aviation suggested lifting one off another rental car in town, but I figured the consequences of doing this, if caught, could be much more severe than facing the people at the rental car company.  After leaving the airport, I headed into town for a sandwich and some sight seeing, then went to get gas at the only gas pump within 20 miles of Talkeetna.


This self serve is around 11 miles north of Talkeetna and if you don't have a credit card to get gas here, you're out of luck.

Anyway, after getting gas, I was somewhat hopeful that if I walked the steep, twisty, wash board road from the main highway that leads up to where by B&B is, I might find the hubcap.  It's the little things sometimes.  There it was, after 5 minutes of searching, about halfway up the long hill, plain as day on the down hill side of the road.  It was an exhilarating experience for me and I felt it important enough to share, although I am going to guess you can't feel the same excitement I felt having recovered the thing.

I have really developed an affection for the city of Talkeetna and for the locals, who I see almost every day.  I have met many of them and have heard stories about some of them from Bill at the B&B.  Here are some images of Talkeetna:

Reindeer Hot Dog Guy

Homemade Ice Cream Guy (on right with blue shirt)

Homemade Ice Cream Maker (Plastic cover meets OSHA standards)

That's me with Reindeer Hot Dog


When I fly, I go here between 10:00 and 12:00 to have a cup of coffee, a morning bun ($4.25 for either regular or raspberry).  I always get a spot at a table for 12.  Usually the table fills with tourists before I leave.  It's great and there is always fun conversation.

This hasn't moved since I've been here.

The Denali Brewing Company.  Great Burgers, Beer and Chicken Satay.  I sat here with Lance the night after I got my float plane certification.  That's when Lance informed me there were no less than 3 float plane pilots on the deck.  A young guy with a Maul Float, Lance, and ME!

They say this place is famous.  I had the Caesar Salad with Alaskan Salmon and it was great (but expensive)

I got my tail wheel endorsement today!  Tomorrow starts Bush Pilot Training with John.


2 comments: