Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's Official, I'm a Float Plane Pilot

Fish Lake, Super Cub 5907Y and the Pier I misjudged today.
Today, quite a day.  I was scheduled for a Float Plane Check Ride at 2:00 PM.  At 11:00 AM, Lance and I flew to Larson Lake for a little honing of my skills.  I have to say I did quite good.  Turned out me check ride was actually going to start at 3:00 PM (prolong the agony after not sleeping last night thinking about it).  The guy who was to check me, and another Above Alaska pilot (John) out, ended up landing a couple hundred yards from Above Alaska in a shinny new red helicopter at 3:30 PM.  He flew in from Anchorage for my check ride and John's check ride.  I was first to go (I demanded it).  The check ride guy, his name is Hon, turned out to be very professional, as he should be, and very interesting.  His first foray was on the East Coast of the lower 48 in medical school, then flying float planes in AK, then Gulfstreams for famous people, then helicopters in AK and elsewhere in the lower 48.   He's also flow helicopter in South Africa and flown in the Aleutian Islands off Western AK.  I really liked the guy and that made the 1 hour oral test easier and made me feel comfortable in the actual flying part of the test, with Hon in the back seat.

He had me do some things I had not done in the Super Cub before like steep turns, stalls and some landings which transitioned into what is called step taxi's.  I never wavered, never faltered, did a really spot on job.  It had a lot to do with how comfortable I was with this Check Ride guy (Hon).  My only downfall was I kind of missed the pier when docking the plane.  First time for me.  I had instructed Hon that I wanted his assistance to help water rudder the plane to the dock and he put in enough right rudder for me to still get a hold of the plane and tie it down to the pier.

Anyway......sitting in the Denali Brew House in Talkeetna, having my second IPA, celebrating my accomplishment with my computer.  Just talked to Sandy.  It feels pretty good to get the structured part of this adventure out of the way and now on to the fun, no pressure part, tail wheel endorsement and bush endorsement (a piece of cake after float plane). 

Thanks for tuning in.  I have a day off tomorrow and will most likely head to Denali National Park for the 6 hour tour.  Pictures to follow.....

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment